Turns out that I'm sick. I'm so congested that I can hardly breathe through my mouth. The humidity doesn't help either. Today was supposed to be the surfing day. I went with, but I just stayed on the beach the whole time and got my tan on. I had no energy to try to get on that board. No way. I'm getting anxious to just go home now. Since people saw me just sitting there, they gave me their cameras and I got some cool action shots of everyone surfing. I think 25 or 26 girls got up out of the 27 that tried it. I surfed in Australia, so I know that I'm horrible at it anyway.
The whole day started out horrible. We woke up to a busted pipe in our downstairs bathroom. Our hotel has 2 floors! 2 bedrooms (with no a/c), 3 bathrooms, a kitchen and eating area, and the living room with a pull out couch. It's a nice place, but it would be nicer if there was air conditioning.
We all decided to go shopping. We did some MUCH needed shopping. I got the family some t-shirts, myself some t-shirts, and some little trinkets. I bought some more larimar pieces just to have. Now it's time to hit the hay. It's been a long day in the sun, but I got some much needed color! :)
June 8th, 2010
So I jumped off a cliff today. Lots of them to be exact. We hiked up a mountain… Not just a hill, but almost straight up in 99% humidity. I was still congested and it sucked! But we finally made it to the top and started our trek down the river and followed the 27 waterfalls! Some were little tiny things where we could just step down, others were natural water slides (so fun!), and some were just over 20 feet in the air. Not my favorite. The only bad thing was that there was no other way down. It was the ONLY way to go. So I sucked it up and jumped.
It was so scary, but by the time I jumped off 3 or 4 really high ones, I got the hang out it. I just have to plug my nose. I always have though so that's no surprise to me. It was a water activity and I didn't get hurt!!! :)
When we got back, one of my hotel-mates and I went shopping again. She's a Canadian! We stopped for some ice cream at BON (only the best place in the Dominican for ice cream) and then I got my dad another t-shirt. I get back around Father's Day so I figured, why not?! I got one for Emily but my eyes were deceiving me. I couldn't fit into it and she's taller than I am. So that didn't work. I decided that I would give it to one of my extremely tiny friends back home.
June 9th, 2010
Snorkeling. I really hate to say it, but it wasn't my favorite activity that we did. I had a hard time adjusting to the snorkel. I panicked for a little bit until I could calm down a little. I think it was just a fear I had or something. Then once I got into it, I couldn't enjoy it. I guess snorkeling the in Great Barrier Reef in Australia is always going to be the winner in snorkeling. It will never be topped.
I did see a Dory fish though! "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming…" Then my hero, Adolfo, saw a king crab! Then all I could think about was the show "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery channel. I love that show! I couldn't dive that far and hold my breath that long to go and look, but he took pictures and gave them to everyone. How nice is he? :) Then my other leader, Liza, saw a lion fish. I guess they are really harmful to the creatures in the area so you are supposed to kill them if you see one. They are also really poisonous so we had to get back on the boat. I don't remember if we were just done snorkeling or if it was because of the fish. I couldn't tell you since I don't remember.
Before we went snorkeling, we went windsurfing. That is fun. It might be something that I could even do at home. All you need is water, and wind! It's great. It was nice and calm so we weren't going so fast. It was such a beautiful time for it. On one side of the beach was kite boarding! Insane people do that. Only insane ones. Then there were the Americans trying to windsurf with hardly any wind. It was funny. But oh, so worth it.
Then for dinner we went to the surf instructor's restaurant. Oh. My. Goodness. Everyone wanted to taste everything so we all got every other. I shared with another girl since she got the extremely thin cut steak and I got the seafood platter. Mahi-Mahi (deliciousness), lobster (but not the kind you'd find in restaurants in the states…), and CALAMARI! Only my favorite thing ever. It was all so delicious. I just wanted to keep eating. I also got papas fritas y agua. That's just french fries and water. It was so cheap too. Around $7 in US dollars.
Since I was so ready to go home, I couldn't sleep! That's usually how people are when they are excited to go on vacation. I was just excited to go home! I woke up around 5:30 am and finished packing, checked my email, ate some toast, and just relaxed. Once everyone was awake, we went shopping one last time and I got some coffee.
Then we had to say goodbye to Liza and Adolfo. That was the hard part. Adolfo looked like he was going to cry. I think he did tear up a bit too.
It's almost time to head to the airport which means it's almost time to be in Miami. I'm not going to Dallas either! I was able to get back onto my original flight that my mom was forced to change and it was a big mess of a time. Yuck. I am the happiest person ever right now. I got through customs just fine leaving Puerto Plata and entering the U.S. I had to hurry to make my flight on time so I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone. I was a little sad about that. But I get to see Nick soon! He's picking me up from the airport in Minneapolis and bringing me to my house. Then I get to see my parents and sister and my 2 little puppies! I can't wait. Time for take off.
Farewell my journal. It's been a blast.
¡k l k!

No comments:
Post a Comment