So this whole blog thing is new to me. My Mom is actually the one that told me it might be a good idea for me to start one. Her blog is fun to look at too. It's called "A Happy Bluebird." We have a few pairs of bluebirds that are in our backyard and she absolutely loves them. They are kinda cute creatures... Nice and plump!
The actual reason for my Mom telling me I should create a blog is because I am going to be going to the Dominican Republic in about a month. This way, when I go on the trip of a lifetime, I can just go to the local internet cafe that has free wifi and post my adventures on here from my iPod. I will be gone for about a month too! I can't wait. I will be traveling with a group called "International Student Volunteers" to help out the locals. The whole program is broken down into weeks. The first week I will be staying with a host family and learning how to cook authentic Dominican meals. How cool is that?! That week will also be a tough one because there will be some intense Spanish lessons. I am going to be completely immersed in the Spanish culture in the Dominican. I took Spanish classes in high school, but that was a few years ago so I don't remember everything that I learned. I know the majority of the basics. I will also be taking some dancing lessons to top off the first week out of the country. :)
The second and third week will be the volunteering part of the trip. I won't know for a few days which program I will be a part of, but the program I want to get into is the one where I would be teaching English to little children, playing games with them, and just making their life seem worthwhile. The other programs that are a part of the International Student Volunteers would be building schools for those underprivileged kids. The last of three programs that I could be a part in is one where I would be helping local conservationists come up with new ways to preserve the flora and fauna of the area. Any of them sound like an amazing opportunity to me, but I would like to teach the little kids. Probably because I am going to school for English studies. I will be graduating in about a year with my BA in English. I'll eventually teach English as a second language so this would be a great head start to a fantastic career.
The fourth and fifth week are going to be the most extreme weeks. How does horseback riding to secluded waterfalls sound? What about hiking to Tarzan's house in the jungle? Windsurfing? Regular surfing? Sliding down natural water slides? AMAZING! It all sounds absolutely amazing. Along with the creation of my own larimar jewelry.
Then I get to hop back on a plane and head home. The good ol' land of Minnesota! Speaking of which, any impression you've ever heard of Minnesotans is completely exaggerated and more than likely Canadian. Geez! But everyone always knows where I am from. Always.
---------------------
Another reason I wanted to create this blog (as well as making my Mom happy) is for my poetry. Last semester I had a beginner's poetry class and I absolutely loved it! I didn't know how much I liked to write. Now judging by how much I wrote already, you might be able to tell that I like to write. The title of this newly created blog is actually the name of my very first poetry portfolio!! My dream would be to someday write a children's poetry book. Like Shel Silverstein. I have one already that my prof said I should make into a book. Writing children's books in itself would be amazing. If only I could get something published without spending a fortune! I'll eventually get something posted up here that has to do with my writing.
Way to go, English Major! (Yes, you.) Your blog will be fabulous. I can't wait to go on a trip to the Dominican Republic with you. And read more of your writing, of course!
ReplyDeleteBy the way - GREAT blog title!
ReplyDeleteGracias Madre.
ReplyDelete